Friday, September 18, 2009

Getting In Touch With Yourself

Class 9 was a bit of a humdinger - I think I need some time to digest it a bit. It started off with some straightforward vocabulary to help with telling time. Pretty harmless. However, this was followed by a question and answer session that saw David asking Jimena what time she likes to have sex, and then Jimena listing the times of the day (they were numerous) when she likes to masturbate. Maybe I just didn't use the software long enough but I never got to the unit on hooking yourself up in Rosetta Stone. I'm surprised they didn't also teach us the word for Kleenex. Sorry, no funny stories about my time in Buenos Aires to tell here.

After a short break for a cold shower, I learned about prepositions. Especially helpful was the information about what prepositions must always be used together (such as "not only...but also" in English). I learned that I've probably been combining these and using them incorrectly since my arrival here (should always use "de" with "a," and "desde" with "hasta"). Live and learn.

Although David's (the English speaking student) stalking of Jimena (the Spanish speaking teacher) can be a bit much at times, often taking over the class, he does come up with humorous observations about the Spanish vocabulary that makes it easy to remember. One example from class 9 is that the word for handcuffs is "esposas," the same word for wives - coincidence? I think not.

Hopefully, I'm able to retain more information from this class than what time Jimena likes to have sex (9:30am, 9:30pm, and 3:20pm for the record). I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment