Friday, September 25, 2009

Competitive Shopping: The Next Great Sport

The second half of this course (Class 16) got off to a good start by covering two of my favorite things: competition and clothes shopping. Most people who know me know that I am willing to compete at just about anything, and am confident I will win. Just hearing the words "you couldn't do that" or "I could definitely beat you at X" puts a smile on my face. Now I have the vocabulary to continue my ascent up the "meaningless victory" list while I'm in Argentina. Well, at the very least I'll be able to watch a soccer game on tv or read the sports section of the paper without being completely lost.

Also, seeing as how I am still looking for steady work here in Buenos Aires, my day mainly consists of dropping the kids off at school and picking them up four hours later. So, like any good house-husband (or "man-ny" if you will), I often fill the morning window shopping along Avenida Santa Fe or at Alto Palermo, one of the local malls. The only problem is when the always-attentive salespeople inevitably come over and ask me if I need any help (on second thought they might be telling me to look in the husky boys section instead). My reply usually goes something like this: lower lip out, eyes squinting, head nodding side-to-side, and hand waiving them off --> the international sign for "get the f*%k away from me, I'm trying to shop in peace." It's not that I'm trying to be mean though, I just don't know what to say to them in Spanish. Even more stress-provoking is the chance of actually liking something and needing to try it on - uncomfortable interaction overload. Well, after class 16, I know have the vocabulary to expertly go from "just looking" to "I'll take two!"

This vocabulary will also be quite useful for my upcoming trip to the local cafe/wine bar, DiVino. They recently had a nice looking red wine in the window (it had a tag that said "muy bueno") that was offered at a very good price. My wife and I had been meaning to pick up a couple of bottles, however, when we walked past the window yesterday it wasn't there. Now that I've learned the word for display window (vidriera), I can specifically ask about the particular bottle in question rather than just grunting and pointing like I usually do. I kind of feel like a caveman who just saw fire for the first time.

In a nutshell, Bueno, entonces... Learn Spanish is continuing to provide the high-yield conversational Spanish it advertises.

No comments:

Post a Comment